Safety concerns have prompted the North Platte Police Department to issue the following statement to residents regarding School Zones:
The North Platte Police Department is requesting the community’s assistance with keeping our school children safe. We have received complaints from school officials and the general public regarding the dropping off and picking up of school children and vehicles disobeying traffic laws inside posted school zones. We have, and will continue, directed patrols in these areas, although, we cannot do this alone and need your help.
Here are a few school driving tips where you can help:
· Slow down and drive extra cautiously and ALWAYS obey the speed limits. Remember, traffic fines double in school zones
· Drop off and pick up children in your school’s designated areas, not the middle of the street.
· Don’t double park; it blocks visibility for other children and vehicles.
· Always stop for school buses that are loading or unloading children.
· Watch out for school crossing guards and obey their signals.
· Stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk until they are completely on the other side of the street.
· Be prepared for kids to appear in unexpected places, like from between parked cars; if they’re on bikes, prepare for them to turn in front of you without looking or signaling.
· If you need to use your phone, be sure you’re pulled over safely.
· Don’t ever block a crosswalk; it forces pedestrians to go around you and could put them in the path of moving traffic.
· Unless licensed to do so, never use handicap or emergency vehicle lanes or spaces to drop off or pick up children at school.