Feb 13, 2020 5:14 PM

US announces 15th virus case, this one in Texas evacuee

Posted Feb 13, 2020 5:14 PM

MIKE STOBBE-AP Medical Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - U.S. officials on Thursday announced the country's 15th confirmed case of the new coronavirus - an evacuee from China who had been under quarantine in Texas.

The patient, who had been flown to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio last week, is now in isolation at a hospital and was reported in stable condition. The infection was confirmed through a Wednesday night lab test , making the person the first coronavirus patient in Texas.

"There may be additional cases we identify. I do want to prepare you for that," said Dr. Jennifer McQuiston, deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control's division of high consequence pathogens and pathology.

Two earlier U.S. cases were found among evacuees flown to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in Southern California.

Hundreds of people, including U.S. State Department employees and their families, were brought to military bases in Texas, California and Nebraska aboard chartered flights from Wuhan, a city of 11 million that is at the center of the outbreak.

There are 57 evacuees being held in quarantine at the Nebraska National Guard's Camp Ashland southwest of Omaha, Nebraska, none of whom have shown any signs of the virus, Nebraska Medicine spokesman Taylor Wilson said. He said the Omaha hospital prepared to treat any of the evacuees if needed.

Tens of thousands of cases of the illness, known as COVID-19, have been reported globally, the vast majority of them in China.

The virus can cause fever, coughing, wheezing and pneumonia. Health officials think it spreads mainly from droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how the flu spreads.

Continue Reading North Platte Post
Feb 13, 2020 5:14 PM
Kansas teen accused in shooting death of her boyfriend
Rina Nguyen photo Sedgwick Co.

SEDGWICK COUNTY — Law enforcement authorities are investigating a murder and have a teenage suspect in custody.

Just before 6p.m. Wednesday, police responded to a shooting at a home in the 1500 Block of South Battin in Wichita, according to police Lt. Jeff Gilmore.

At the scene, officers located a victim identified as  22-year-old Amare Holt with multiple gunshot wounds. EMS transported him to a local hospital where he died, according to Gilmore.

Investigators learned that 18-year-old Rina Nguyen and her boyfriend Holt were at the home and  got into an argument. During the disagreement, Nguyen pulled out a handgun and fired it at Holt as he was walking out the front door of the residence.

Gunshots also struck a nearby occupied home, according to Gilmore but there were no other injuries. A 17-year-old girl also at the home was not injured, according to Gilmore.

After the shooting, Nguyen fled the residence in a vehicle but returned a short time later and was arrested on requested charges of first-degree murder and discharge of a firearm at an occupied dwelling, according to Gilmore.