1. CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
The Mid-Plains Community College Board of Governors met for its regularly scheduled meeting at 6:30 p.m. (MDT) Wednesday, May 24, 2023, at the MPCC Ogallala Campus, 512 E. B St. South in Ogallala.
Board Chair Ben Lashley started the meeting with a roll call. In addition to Lashley, those present were MPCC President Ryan Purdy and Board members: Jo Etta Brown, Matthew Broz, Kirk Crawley, Cynthia Duncan, Kim Korgan, Ernie Mehl, Kent Miller, Tyler Pribbeno and Tricia Schaffer. Board member Ted Klug Jr. was absent and excused.
2. OPEN FORUM (Comments from students, faculty, staff, public and Board)
a. No one spoke during the open forum.
3. CONSENT ITEMS. On a single consent motion, the board approved:
a. Minutes from the April 19 Board work session and regular meeting.
b. The financial report for April.
c. The use of cash reserves for general operating expenses.
4. ACTIONS REQUIRED BY LAW
a. The Board approved bills for April in the amount of $1,373,820.67.
b. The Board approved the Business program review as presented and the forwarding of the report to the Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education.
c. The Board approved the hire of a full-time CDL instructor.
d. The Board approved the premium for the 2023-24 fiscal year for the Nebraska Community College Insurance Trust in the amount of $636,050.
a. Cabinet Reports: The Board heard reports from MPCC President Ryan Purdy, Vice President of Academic Affairs and NPCC Dr. Jody Tomanek, Vice President of Administrative Services Mike Steele and Vice President of Student Affairs and MCC Kelly Rippen.
6. CLOSED SESSION
a. The Board went into closed session at 8:08 p.m. to discuss personnel.
7. ACTION ITEMS (Continued)
a. The Board reconvened in open session at 8:26 p.m. The Board approved non-negotiated compensation at a rate of 4.25% to align with negotiated compensation.
b. The Board approved a new contract for MPCC President Ryan Purdy for a term beginning July 1, 2023 and ending June 30, 2026 that includes a salary increase of 5% and a contribution to the President’s 457B Retirement Plan of 3%.
Upon hearing no further business, the Board moved to adjourn at 8:28 p.m. The June Board meeting was canceled. The next Board meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. July 19 in McCook.
- July – Quarterly Facilities Master Plan
- July – Quarterly Financial Report
- July – Institutional Advancement and Grants
- September – Annual Report
- November – Auditor’s Report
- November – Retention and Enrollment
- February – Retention and Enrollment
- March – Program Scorecard
- March – Three-year Instructional Equipment Plan
- April – Quarterly Facilities Master Plan
- April – Quarterly Financial Report
- April – Three-year Capital Improvement Plan
- May – CCPE Program Reviews
- July 19 – Board Meeting, Room 213, McMillen Hall, McCook Community College
- Aug. 16 – Board Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Room 200, W.W. Wood Building, North Platte Community College North Campus
- Sept. 27 – Board Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Room 200, W.W. Wood Building, North Platte Community College North Campus
- Oct. 18 – Board Meeting, Room 213, McMillen Hall, McCook Community College
- Nov. 5-6 NCCA Annual Meeting, North Platte
- Nov. 15 – Board Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Room 200, W.W. Wood Building, North Platte Community College North Campus
- Dec. 20 – Board Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Room 200, W.W. Wood Building, North Platte Community College North Campus