Jan 13, 2020 5:45 PM

Mom sues City of Lincoln, Lancaster County over police chase crash death of son

Posted Jan 13, 2020 5:45 PM

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - The mother of a Nebraska teenager killed when a stolen vehicle crashed during a police chase is seeking $1 million each from Lincoln police and Lancaster County.

Brandy Yost filed claims last month that said the officers involved in the December 2018 chase wrongfully caused the death of her 14-year-old son, Zayne Yost, of Lincoln. Her filing says the officers should have known the vehicle's driver was inexperienced and that there were no pressing reasons to continue the pursuit, the Lincoln Journal Star reported.

Lancaster County Attorney Pat Condon declined to comment, and Sheriff Terry Wagner declined to comment on the internal review of his deputies' actions. Lincoln City Attorney Jeff Kirkpatrick told the newspaper his staff is reviewing the case and claim and hasn't yet decided whether to recommend City Council approve it.

The crash came after a group of boys found a sport utility vehicle unlocked and running early on Dec. 26, 2018. Two boys took the SUV and then picked up Yost and another teen. Police spotted the SUV but stopped a chase when the vehicle sped away. A Lancaster County deputy saw it again in downtown Lincoln and followed it onto Interstate 80, where the vehicle hit nearly 100 mph (161 kph) before crashing and rolling as it was exiting.

All the boys inside were taken to a hospital, where Zayne Yost was pronounced dead.

Two State Patrol troopers and a Lincoln police sergeant who reviewed a crash death investigation by the Nebraska State Patrol told a grand jury they did not believe there was any wrongdoing by the officers involved.

The boy who was driving has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and is trying to have his case remain in juvenile court. He's 16.

The Associated Press typically doesn't name juveniles charged with crimes.

Continue Reading North Platte Post
Jan 13, 2020 5:45 PM
Police: 9-month-old Kan. girl remains hospitalized in critical condition
Rader photo Sedgwick County

SEDGWICK COUNTY—Law enforcement authorities are investigating a Kansas man for alleged child abuse.

Just before 11:30 p.m. 10, police and EMS were dispatched to the 3600 block of West 13th street North in Wichita for a child not breathing, according to Captain Brent Allred. At the scene, they discovered a 9-month-old girl with critical injuries.  EMS transported her to a local hospital where she remains hospitalized in very critical condition, according to Allred.

Investigators learned  the child received injuries while in the care of 25-year-old Breitan Radar at the home. That led to his arrest on requested charges of child abuse, child endangerment, possession of marijuana with intent to sell, cultivation of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia. He is being held on a $250,000 bond, according to online jail records.

A 6-year-old boy and a 2-year-old boy found at the home were placed in police protective custody.  Radar is the father of 6-year-old and not the father of the victim.

During the investigation officers discovered a marijuana grow operation inside the apartment.   

Radar had called the mother to tell her the baby was not breathing. The mother saw a Sedgwick County Sheriff's Deputy's vehicle, contacted the deputy who followed her to the home.

The case will be presented to the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office

--------